-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
David Crayford
Sent: Tuesday, January 4, 2022 21:48

It's true. The company I work for has been on-boarding millennials for years
now to replace the guys that are retiring. I work with some very smart young
guys, some of who write systems level code. None of them use REXX unless it's
used in a product they are working on. We're ripping and replacing decades old
build tools written in REXX with Python because it's become technical debt and
no one can support it.

The typical millenial uses:

  * An IDE such as VS Code, IntelliJ, Slickedit with plugins for
    mainframe languages and to access the MVS file system.
  * They don't use TSO or the ISPF editor so there is no need for REXX
    edit macros etc. ISPF is mainly used for SDSF and submitting jobs.
  * They work in a interactive shell and use UNIX utilties.
  * Everything is stored in Git repositories.
  * They code scripts in Python, Node.js or a JVM language.