I'd suggest to remove the stick. And insert it only when doing backup.
Reason: cyber resiliency. Ransomware could destroy content of both your primary HDD/SSD and backup device.

And it's worth to have two (or more) devices. And round robin.

I did it.
My backup space is IMHO huge - approx. 70GB. So I use regular HDD in external case, USB attached. However incremental backup takes approx. 4-5 minutes. Yes, I have a lot of pictures, PDFs, etc. But I do not modify majority of these pictures. The most of time spent for backup is checking directiories against content change. (Of course it's scripted).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland