While the status of the active settings derived from Parmlib members may be
viewable using tools such as IPLINFO and the like, there are other things in
Parmlibs as well.

For example,
1. many sites will have Parmlib shared amongst members of a sysplex. So READ
access to Parmlib gives you those settings as well. If you don't have the
ability to logon to those systems you can still get some of their settings.
2. Many sites keep fallback settings or recovery setting in Parmlib. It is
possible these may have lower security (in order to accommodate recovery). So
read access gives you those as well.
3. The names of people involved in making settings changes are often recorded
in Parmlib in comments. Using these names can be an opportunity for social
engineering of help desk staff.

Above all, turn the question round. Why do users *need* access to Parmlib? If
they can manage without read access and still do their jobs efficiently why
give them (and others) access? Most development TSO users will not need access.
Many support staff will need access. Set the access accordingly. Use the
principle of least access to grant access where needed, rather than denying
where needed.

Think further. Think like a hacker.
Lennie

Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw
https://rsclweb.com
‘Dance like no one is watching. Encrypt like everyone is.’