From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2022 1:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ZAD and C/C++ (was:: 2.5 Heads Up)

Ah! (void *). I know what that means, but I am perhaps too dense to see what
(void *)"" would accomplish. I "get" what it is doing -- casting a char* (or
maybe a const char*) as a void* -- but other than for some obscure test I don't
see the purpose.

Certainly open(NULL, ...) is a possible real-life mistake. You write a function
that expects a passed file name; I call it thinking it is "smart" enough to
know that a filename of NULL means don't use a file; you try to open what I
pass.

Too lazy to test and see what happens. I certainly agree that "bad address" is
a lot more useful than "no such file." "Address is NULL" would be even more
useful, to distinguish this special case from the case of some random garbage
pointer. The programmer could look for "how might I be passing NULL?" as
opposed to looking for "what might have corrupted that address?"

There is so much HORRIBLE error diagnosis out there. I have been wrestling the
past week with the Google App Store. Would not take an e-mail address on a
particular page. Error message: "E-mail address is not valid." Huh? I get
e-mail there. After hours of hacking it turned out to mean "that e-mail address
is not associated with any gmail address." Another situation where it was
rejecting an e-mail address, this time with the error "! Try reformatting".
Well, gee, it was your basic e-mail format, som...@domain.com. No blanks or
anything like that. Never did figure out what they wanted; got around the
problem another way.

Charles