From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Tony Harminc [t...@harminc.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 11:23 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Reliable source for OCO?

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 07:37, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> I'm editing the wikipedia [[Operating system]] article, and another editor
> has challenged the sentence "The logic manuals for their contemporary
> descendants, z/VM, z/VSE and z/VM, are not available to the general public."
> What are the relevant URLs for IBM's policy? Thanks.

The OCO (or more subtle) status of current software is in the
announcement letters. Using IBM URLs as a reference is a bit of a
trap, because IBM so frequently removes and rearranges things, and
seems to have a global robots.txt that prohibits pretty much
everything.

It's not obvious to me that the existence of published logic manuals
aligns with the OCO status of a product. IIRC many products that were
not OCO have still had logic manuals withdrawn in favour of
"diagnostic guides" and the like. At the same time some of those
diagnostic books are remarkably detailed, and the logic is described
or can be inferred even though the source code is not available.

I also seem to remember some discussion of this on this very list,
including the definitions of terms like "restricted materials of IBM",
"object code only", and so on. I'm not finding them in a quick search,
but one thing that did come up is a 2018 post from Gabe Goldberg, who
said he had "my OCO file -- a decade or so worth of material
documenting IBM's folly removing source code ("Object Code Only" for
those who didn't live through it). " Might be worth contacting him.
I'm not sure he's still active on this list, but g...@gabegold.com
looks to be current.

Tony H.