David Crayford wrote:

>Don't mean to put you on the spot Phil, but can you elaborate? Is there
>a big drop off in Linux on Z users? Did the poster children move to x86
>systems?

Well, the several examples I can think of moved the workload elsewhere,
presumably to x86. I hate to be negative about Linux on Z because I was at
Linuxcare for five years doing Linux deployment on Z and thought it was a
great platorm. But I fear that the hype was too great, such that folks
jumped in too deep and then said "Uhhhh". I'm really not sure.

I'm not sure IBM helped with the LinuxONE thing, because that made it seem
different, not "Just Linux, but with mainframe scaling etc."

It's not dead by any means-linux-...@vm.marist.edu
<mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu>  is alive and well-it's just not the
obvious growth area that it seemed like 15 years ago. Acourse I'm not what I
was 15 years ago either!