On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 7:00 AM Lionel B. Dyck <lbd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You found  the Personal Edition - the Learner's is much less expensive -
> see this article
> https://abopen.com/news/ibm-lowers-barrier-to-mainframe-entry-with-zdt-learners-edition-licence/

If that is correct on cost, I could afford it.

> Hope this helps.

Very much.

> And you are correct - in ALL my communications with IBM about the LE they
> repeated that it was for educational purposes and NOT to be used to create
> software for distribution - not for commercial and not for open-source.

I guess IBM wants it out there for someone like a college student so that
they can say "yes" to questions like "Do you know JCL? z assembler? z
COBOL?" and so on. Oh course, for me, it would be more for amusement.

I guess it would really be better, if I wanted to distribute stuff, like
via GitHub, to just stay with Linux on Intel. Much less restrictive. I just
like writing assembler. Which is nearly impossible on Lintel. What a messy
ISA. And using the assembler, gas, definitely isn't a gas (old slang).