Yes... Now that you mention it, I do remember the key in PDS directories, but I never worked with those others directly. Do VSAM datasets use disk keys?

On 5/12/2022 3:11 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
No, SYSCTLG and CVOLs had key length 8, to say nothing of PDS directories.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Tom
Brennan [t...@tombrennansoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 7:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: The Story of Mainframe Passwords

I remember that dataset.  When I first started, one of my jobs was to
run a program someone had written that read every record looking for a
dataset match, and then spit out the password.  That was for folks who
forgot their dataset password of course.  The program took maybe 10
minutes to run, and one day I figured out it was probably the only
dataset on the system that used the K in CKD, so I reworked the program
to use the key and it could then find a particular record in an instant.