BRODCAST with its 1 byte keys is probably the only data set using non-unique hardware keys.

IIRC, the key values have the following meanings:
* (I think) header with pointers to the first system notice and the first user directory blocks
* free (available) record
* system notice - operator SEND with SAVE
* user directory
* user mail - TSO SEND with SAVE

Decades ago I heard that SYSCTLG/CVOL and PDS directories both had 256 byte blocks with 8 byte keys because they used the same code for processing.  I have no idea whether that was true.

/Leonard