I was told you have a z/OSMF on each instance, so you have availability....
but
But once you start a piece of work on one z/OSMF you have to finish it
there,  because stuff is not shard between z/OSMF instances.
Configuration one one z/OSMF may not be shared elsewhere.

One reason that the later versions are faster is use of shared classes.
Basically it saves the byte codes, so it does not have to parse the source
each time.
However even with this my z/OSMF still took 19 million EXCP to start.

I've blogged on some z/OSMF topics, including performance here
<https://colinpaice.blog/category/z-osmf/>
Colin