On Fri, 20 May 2022 at 07:59, Jay Maynard <jaymayn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 6:09 AM Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Did the MP2000 and MP3000 simulate S/390 on x86 chips, use P/390
> > technology or use tailored hardware?
>
> IIRC, the MP2000 used a P390, and the MP3000 used the P390E. In any event,
> they did not emulate the processor.

I don't know much about the MP2000, but the MP3000 was Real Iron with
the same G5 processor used in things like the 9672. It did have an x86
board and CPU, but it was not used for instruction emulation - only
for support and *some* I/O functions. There was no P390 chip or board.

There was often some confusion because the MP3000 used the same box as
the earlier Integrated Server (IS) which was indeed just a large
packaging of a P390E.

Tony H.