"The house is white on this side" (RAH, SIASL)

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Tony Harminc [t...@harminc.net]
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 3:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM ordered to pay $1.6b to BMC

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 at 14:16, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> Well, #1 we are a bunch of jailhouse lawyers without even the source
> documents in front of us. Who knows EXACTLY what IBM agreed, or how it is
> effectively modified by the operation of law, or what exactly transpired
> between IBM and AT&T.

Indeed. Anyone who has ever seen a program written by a lawyer may
appreciate this. I have seen a few (mostly but not entirely
spreadsheets), and it just reinforces my thinking that lawyers live in
a "differently logical" world from the rest of us. Many of us here
have all kinds of experience dealing with lawyers and contracts (to
say nothing of personal matters), but that kind of "legal experience"
doesn't make us lawyers or even experts.

Looked at another way, "legal reasoning" is a law school topic of
instruction and study, and is generally the thing that we programmers
take to because it most closely resembles programming, and we like to
think that the law is algorithmic in nature. But legal reasoning is
very far from being "the law", and is actually quite a small part of
the education of a lawyer. Applying it other people's cases to
conclude that this or that judgement is correct or will obviously be
overturned is just silly.

Tony H.