From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 8:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM ordered to pay $1.6b to BMC

Indeed.  I've long ago concluded that I DON'T KNOW what's going on behind
the scenes.  For example, we love to repeat horror stories about legal
decisions that have everyone exclaiming "miscarriage of justice" - but often
enough when I learn of some of the background details, I realize our
judgement isn't so obvious and inevitable after all.  That jury decision,
for instance, about the lady who sued MacDonald's after hot coffee landed in
her lap.  Or the infamous Klan-Nazi trial decision.  Heck, I've BEEN on
juries that came to decisions I felt the need to explain afterward.  So
nowadays when I hear of some inexplicable legal outcome, I tend to suppose
there are details I didn't know about.

---

/* The main thing we learn from a serious attempt to practise the Christian
virtues is that we fail.  If there was any idea that God had set us a sort
of exam and that we might get good marks by deserving them, that has to be
wiped out.  If there was any idea of a sort of bargain -- any idea that we
could perform our side of the contract and thus put God in our debts so that
it was up to Him, in mere justice, to perform his side -- that has to be
wiped out.  -C S Lewis, "Christian Behavior" */