On 19/06/2022 10:18 am, kekronbekron wrote:
Would using DISP=SHR,DSN=xx,FREE=CLOSE in the 15-min writer STC work?
Or just YOLO it like the object storage people, i.e., 1 file for 15 minutes in
USS.

Or, if you're willing to explore a little, check out NATS.
It's a light-weird 'MQ' of the modern age. NATS CLI should save you from most
of the setup trouble.
Don't know if it'll work in USS; but since it's Go, you may be able to get it
going with Open Enterprise SDK for Go.

Yeah, good luck with that. My experience of trying to build Prometheus on z/OS was underwhelming. The syscall API is very different to Linux so you end up with a rather large porting effort no dissimilar to C/C++. I abandoned it. Stick to the JVM, notwithstanding JNA (which I believe is being ported by IBM)

For a lightweight MQ (or Kafka) you can use Redis, which is used as a message broker, has pub/sub fanouts and streams similar to Kafka. I ported it a a decade ago and it was made public a couple of years back by one of our Zowe devs when it was going to be used for the caching layer in Zowe. I patched it for both EBCDIC and enhanced ASCII and added some z/OS specific features like an MVS STOP command handler.

[1] https://github.com/lchudinov/redis

- KB