On 20/06/2022 3:51 pm, Colin Paice wrote:
MQ from IBM developed about 20+ years ago helped get from Batch to real
time.   You put messages to a queue, and it can run IMS transactions
(including OTMA),  CICS transactions, or even batch!.  You can put on one
member in a sysplex and get in another member.
It has single put, and also publish/subscribe capability.

Great post. For the use case I'm discussing, which is real-time data replication, Kafka will be orders of magnitude more efficient then MQ as it uses a pull model while maintaining equivalent HA durability. MQ is awesome for mainframe applications that require edge triggered events such as CICS transactions. I'm not sure if I would use it in a batch job as the middleware for a data mover.  I stumbled across an interesting paper from IBM with performance metrics running MQ with zCX as the concentrator.  Seems that there may be serious money to be saved with this deployment using zCX. I like these sensible, real world scenarios as opposed to the usual fluff about running large distributed systems on zCX containers.

https://ibm-messaging.github.io/mqperf/MQ%20with%20zCX.pdf

Colin