I can't remember which of Alan Kay's talks it's in, but I have a few of his
saved and one or two have him saying "the big idea is messaging" and
something like "whatever I had in mind, I can tell you now it wasn't C++"
:-)

The late great Joe Armstrong (of Erlang fame) also quoted Alan Kay on this
at least once.

In my opinion, a lot of language development jumped on the OO bandwagon
without thinking things through properly.

Roops