The thing about Smalltalk (and a lot of other developments) is just how old
they are. And we keep re-inventing some things. Smalltalk was remarkable in
1970-ish. Lambdas in Algol-68, but it wasn't the first I believe, and they
can be tracked back further to maths in 1932.

Great insights in the 1968 NATO conference on "Software Engineering".

TDD can be traced back to awk and further bsck than that, I reckon.

I think a lot of Alan Kay's energy is frustration that everything takes so
long!

Roops