(This thread should move to comp.lang.advocacy.)

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 16:40:08 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>OK, I'll bite: What is BSF please?  I do know of PCRE (though I really do not
>like the Perl RE syntax, I prefer Posix/gawk RE syntax) but BSF is a new
>acronym to me.

I try to keep my skill set portable.  I avoid Bash-isms, {g|n}awk, ...  Now
that you say PCRE
is different, my interest in it is diminished.

It seems to me that many users of {g|n}awk learned a primitive awk lacking many
features
such as tolowerr(), touppor(), the "in" operator, ... now assimilated in POSIX
awk.

--
gil