On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:28:24 +0000, Sri h Kolusu wrote:

>>> I usually keep my bigoted mouth shut in threads like this, but guys, why
>>> DFSORT?  That's great for the simple stuff, but REXX is so much easier and
>>> you don't have to sweat over more and more and yet more inventive solutions.
>
>Bob,
>
>Rexx is a handy tool, but it performs poorly against huge volumes of data.

Little argument other than the economic balance between silicon and carbon,
counting
learning in the latter.  How much data?

>Moreover you need to have the Data SORTED before you can calculate the deltas
>and you need to invoke SORT or have a separate step to sort the data, as you
>cannot load the entire file into a stem.

???  How about:
    address syscall pipe P.
    call BPXWDYN "alloc dd(SORTOUT) path('/dev/fd/"P.2"') ..."
    ... address LINKMVS DFSORT ...
    /* Use LINEIN() to read from P.1 -- no stem; no separate step. */

>If you are sorting the data using SORT, why not calculate the delta there
>itself?

" ... everything looks like a nail."  (Yes, to Bob and me also.)

--
gil