I would suggest you start by writing subroutines that can be called  by a
COBOL program. This is how I learned.

Take a COBOL driver program, and instead of writing paragraphs to do the
functions, call an assembler routine. This will help you to learn linkage.
Learn to process passed variables, etc.

Once you have that down, changing to re-entrancy and baseless coding is
merely a matter of changing subroutines you already have and know.

Joe