I'm glad that you were able to figure things out at least enough to get by.

Now, a little more from our side.

To be very specific, the window we are discussing does not let you "check" "use
SAF setup" (for the whole window, let alone for each of auth, routcode, mscope,
storage, and auto). But "use SAF setup" is presented as the default for a
drop-down. That drop-down lets you (at least for routcode) select ALL, NONE,
use SAF setup. And you can also enter your own value(s). Maybe "ALL" for
routcode is questionable in light of this lengthy discussion (even if you might
choose something other than ALL for mscope).

But let's say that you choose to take the "Use recommended values" path.
You can check that box. Apparently (but I'm not certain) that will not do
anything until you hit "OK" even to show you what the "recommended values" are.
I'm not happy about that, and I want to look into a way (at least) to show the
recommended values so that you can decide if they are OK or not before blessing
them.

Once you hit OK, you have saved those settings and they'll keep showing up
until you change them.
It is true (another thing we need to look into) that those "recommended values"
have "ALL" for routcode and "ALL" for mscope.
As was pointed out directly, that is what gets things into conflict with the
health check. That combination is not a value recommended by IBM.
So we need to do something about that.

I've got a feeling that there is no right "recommended value". If MScope ALL is
recommended (is it?) then what routing code selection would be recommended? It
can't be "all", it can't be "all except 11". So which routing code(s) would you
choose to remove from the recommendation? That's a customer decision to be
based, at least in part, on their use of routing codes.

There might be a reasonable "default value". Perhaps (for example) all the
low-numbered routing codes except 11 (since there is little use of the
high-numbered routing codes, I think).

So maybe the window should let you view "default values". And then let you say
OK (or not). But not simply let you go forward with "recommended values".
Or maybe the "recommended value" should be "use SAF setup" for all the items.
That has some appeal to me.

I'm sure there are many possibilities, and some will be good for some folks and
less good for others.
But at a minimum, we don't want to conflict, by default, with our own
recommended best practices.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design