Since we're drifting, I'm remembering another method I think they called Structured Programming or maybe Top Down Programming. I was never an application programmer so I don't know all the terms. But I think I came across it one day while helping a COBOL programmer. Their main routine called a procedure, so I looked for that member. It had only one line, which called another procedure, so I looked at that member. That last member only had one line, a MOVE statement which could have been in the main routine and saved me some browsing.

All I can guess is this was designed from the top, with separate members for various functions "just in case" those functions needed to be expanded later and the sections could be better reused. But I'll bet a donut that never happened, and the end result was the structuring made things more complex and confusing.