>What I see is that z/OSMF development is following the same path as all of the
>other 'lets get modern' projects.   You pick the pretty GUI you like and start
>applying that toolset against a currently working 'solved' problem.
>Promising modernization according to latest hot topics in code development.
>Buzzwords come and go, languages come and go, software development kits come
>and go ad infinitum.
>
>What tends to be forgotten are all the time and effort spent on building the
>solution to the old solved problem.   I can remember many discussions here and
>elsewhere about ServerPac changes and difficulties that could benefit by more
>development changes.
>
>Who remembers all the IBM and OEM 'assistance' products created to buffer us
>poor feeble support teams from the evils of SMP or SMP/E.
>
>z/OSMF is just the latest way to 'dumb down' the complexities for the masses.
>  But then reality steps in.   Somebody, Somewhere HAS to know what has to
>happen when the rubber meets the road.   And navigating from the GUI through
>the stack of products to get to the Road is a long and twisted path.
>
>IF (a big IF) you think the same way the GUI developer thinks, then life can
>get smoother.  Any attempt to repeat the processes that were repeatable and
>have worked before will meet resistance.
>
>With the removal of old options like ServerPac and being forced to the new
>paradigm  of z/OSMF will eventually lead to a better z/OSMF tool.  But lood
>for years of development just like ServerPac needed to achieve its popularity.

Amen.

If I still had to install a new z/OS version before retirement, I'd go back to
CBPDO. It's a bit more work because I have to do the apply myself, but it's
tried and true, and I have used CBPDO on any product we have had to install
except z/OS itself (Java, the compilers,  ...)

Regards, Barbara Nitz