John McKown wrote:
>What level of hardware? We have a z9BC. SCRT version 29 will NOT run on
>this hardware level. I think it needs a z12 or better. From what I saw, I
>needed the MVHGI instruction. Actually, this is a Java 8 requirement, not
>SCRT 29. I'm still running SCRT 28. In anticipation of requiring SCRT 29, I
>downloaded the Windows SCRT program & tested it out. It worked. But that is
>still SCRT 28 because SCRT 29, IIRC, won't be available until 15Oct2022.

John, let's be precise here. You decided to run SCRT off platform, and that's
one choice. But the IBM SDK, Java Technology Edition, Version 8 for z/OS is
compatible with/was supported with z/OS 1.13 and higher. (z/OS 1.13 has reached
End of Service, so it's an "as-is" situation now.) There are no additional Java
8 prerequisites in terms of machine model, not generalized ones anyway. It's
highly likely the error message you observed is spurious since (from what I can
determine from afar) you didn't satisfy the published prerequisites. IBM never
said Java 8 would work on z/OS 1.12 (your release). When you stray from the
published prerequisites and something doesn't work then all you can conclude is
that the published prerequisites might be correct. You cannot logically
conclude that the published prerequisites are incorrect, and that's what you
seem to be doing in what you just wrote.

Anyway, back to the original question Nightwatch RenBand asked, or at least a
workaround....

Nightwatch RenBand: Likely the easiest, quickest way to solve your particular
problem is to install the IBM SDK, Java Technology Edition, Version 8 via SMP/E
rather than via the Web-delivered version. The SMP/E installation should get
JZOS properly installed into PDS/Es for you (as well as zFS). You can order the
SMP/E installable SDK (with the latest maintenance) through IBM Shopz, and it's
a no additional charge software product. That is to say if you're a z/OS
licensee you can obtain and run this software product at no additional charge.
There are actually two products because there are two IBM Program Numbers, one
for the 31-bit release and the other for 64-bit. SCRT recommends 64-bit,
although 31-bit will likely work especially if you have a relatively small
number of LPARs. You might as well order and install both. Here are the IBM
Program Numbers to order:

31-bit: 5655-DGG
64-bit: 5655-DGH

And here's the link to IBM Shopz:

https://www.ibm.com/client-tools/shopz

End of Service for these products is currently September 30, 2026. If you need
to open a problem case with IBM that's specific to the SDK (a suspected defect
in Java) then you probably can still do so, although be prepared for a "Sorry,
we've reached our limits" if you start to drift into something specific to z/OS
since you're on 1.13.

Obviously it'd be wonderful if you get to a newer, supported z/OS release. But
SCRT Version 29's requirements shouldn't force you to do so.

Please let us know how it goes!

— — — — —
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cybersecurity
IBM zSystems/LinuxONE, Asia-Pacific
sipp...@sg.ibm.com