I think that they are not different for that very reason in most shops. Fear of
making a mistake on the HMC or elsewhere.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Scott Chapman
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2023 7:46 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Question on use of LPARNAME, SYSNAME and SMFID

Having looked at data from a whole lot of customer systems, I can say that
SMFID and SYSNAME are often (but not always) the same. LPARNAME is very often
different, although I appreciate it when there's at least some sort of visual
link between it and SMFID/SYSNAME. E.G. SYSA and C1SYSA vs SYSA and C1LP4. Most
sites do tend to have that sort of link between them, but some don't. It seems
like that would make it easier to make a mistake while working on the HMC.

There's a whole lot of PRODPLEX and SYSA and similar out there. But there's
also a fair number of more creative names too.