I think you guys are mixing up being productive after the first day with being
able to take everything over and run the site by yourself.  And remember this
isn't a test, it's just asking for our personal opinions of our personal
experience.  There are all types an levels of systems programmers, just like
any other profession.

No one should take anyone else'[s opinions for anything other than the face
value of being their opinion.  I really hate getting all the personal flaming
email from people who seem to think that I have no business giving my opinion
because I have "an unfair advantage".  I'm not sure I even understand the
unfairness but I certainly don't appreciate the personal email if all you are
going to do is whine and complain about my opinion.  It's not like I'm not
going to have an opinion, and whether you agree with me or not is totally
irrelevant (to me).

My personal opinion was, and still is, that an "experienced" systems programmer
should have zero problems being productive after or even during that first day.
 To be able to manage the entire site could take a while, but that wasn't what
was originally asked.  I also personally don't believe that you hire a senior
systems programmer to spend months training them, that's what junior people are
for.

My opinion again is that taking 6 months to come up to speed, or even 2 months
it totally outrageous to me.  Are there things that you won't know about after
the first day or so, of course, but they should be limited to what might be
archaic (or seem to be archaic) local procedures, not just "being" a systems
programmer.

I know a lot of systems programmers and some are very, very good, and would be
productive even quicker than I would,  But some are quite bad, and no amount of
time will make then good.

So, in the end, this was an opinion question, there is no "right" or "wrong"
answer to someone honest opinion, but apparently some of you don't want others
to have an opinion unless it is the same one you have.  I can live with that,
just don't send me personal email about it.

Brian