Okay on the subject of violating the code of security regarding external
utilities their shop their rules.  It is way better to fight that up front
than to get found out bringing something in.  Most shops I've worked on are
fairly easy about utility stuff however there are always the hard cases and
it's just not worth it.

One point about my post was - it's better to just count on the stuff that
you know is there rather than a non-existent guarantee that it's going to
be something that you can load onto it.  It's like learning vi for an AIX
system because you can't count on anything else.

Rob