As a z/VM sysprog independant contractor for 30+ years, IMHO this is not a
question that can be definitively answered.

The term sysprog has an extremely wide set of standards. For example, a sysprog
from blue's GS division is typically an installer, customizer, data gatherer,
etc. only for zOS and not TCPIP, VTAM, DB2, IMS, CICS, etc. Whereas, as an
independent contracting sysprog I learned and managed everything zOS, including
communications, security, TP monitors, data bases, etc.

Typically, I take about a day to peak at the running system and how it is
implemented, then start in on servicing the punch list from the customer. But
keep in mind, that I started on MVT and still work all the way thru z/OS 2.5 (
as well as z/VM and z/VSE )...

In other words, some sysprogs are trained to be part of a team of people to
manage the environment and others are lone wolfs ... each person is unique in
their learned abilities and their ability to learn...

If the vendor is claiming 6 months ... look elsewhere ... IMHO