On 25/2/23 01:23, Farley, Peter wrote:
Python on the mainframe is pretty good, but still can't beat out Rexx in
performance even when the Rex script needs to use BPXWUNIX and friends to
access z/OS Unix file systems,

I have conducted a series of benchtests, and the results suggest that REXX is not as fast as Python. In my testing, I compare the performance of C, Lua, Python, and REXX, and the results are clear: C is the fastest, followed by Lua, which is within an order of magnitude of C. Python comes next, within an order of magnitude of Lua, and REXX consistently performs the poorest. In addition to the performance factor, the vast Python ecosystem compared to the limited options available for REXX also make it an easy decision. Python is also simpler to extend with packages, while REXX requires more effort and potentially complex steps, such as using modern libraries that require Language Environment (LE).