Any discussion of editors reminds me of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant>. It is very difficult
to find a single editor that has all desirable features.

Yes, ISPF and XEDIT are dated, but they do a superb job of handling data by
line, which is a natural way to think about code despite being out of fashion.
I see the ability to write macros in Rexx as a plus, although I could live
with, e.g., Java, Python, Ruby.

AI? It is a blessing and a curse: when it correctly autocompletes, etc., then
it is helpful.  if it quietly replaces correct text with incorrect text, then
it is bad and I refer to it as "artificial stupidity". I suspect that everybody
here has encountered word processors that introduced errors with their
auto-defect (stet) features.

      There was a little girl
     By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
     There was a little girl,