On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 23:17:09 -0600, Brian Westerman wrote:

>That's the main reason they want you to do these individually, they are really
>big.

I suspect it's a genuine functional dependency.  Imagine a scenario:

PTFA upgrades the assembler by adding a new opcode.

PTFB contains a ++SRC element that uses that new opcode.

The assembler step for PTFB can not run before the load module
updates of PTFA are complete, but SMP/E generally performs
assembler steps before binder steps.

An RFE could provide for "firm" prerequisites such that SMP/E
performs all steps of the prerequisite PTF before any steps of
the dependent PTF.

--
gil