On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 03:40:03 -0500, Bill Giannelli <billgianne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>thanks for your response.
>One of the things of my posts that might be confusing, is that I am
>specifically working with DB2 installations and it's tools. I do not work on
>or change the z/OS system it's self. I am a Db2 Systems Programmer/ DBA. I
>would never touch things like SYS1.LINKLIB.
>thanks
>Bill

Well, that's a horse of a different color! ;)   I don't know why you would need
to clone for something like that, but you may have a good reason.  If it were
me, I would just backup the entire SMP/E environment including target / dlibs
to tape with some date reference and if I needed to restore later for some
reason I would restore to a different name.    If you are just cloning to
"split off" the current environment to support something else (as opposed to
backup / recovery), then it is basically just DFDSS copy or FDRCOPY of all the
zones, SMP/E datasets, target and dlib datasets to the name of your choosing
and updating DDDEFs.   DDDEFs can be mass updated with ZONEEDIT DDDEF.  If
different HLQs are used today, you can continue to do that or not...

I don't know your shop standards, but I personally prefer to have the entire
SMP/E environment for a product under a single HLQ / naming convention.
hlq.DB2V12.llq., or hlq1.hlq2.DB2V12.llq etc.    That includes the CSI(s), SMP*
datasets, target and dlib datasets.  Then you can back it all up and restore it
together.   When a version or product is obsolete it is simple to delete the
entire thing regardless of how it is spread out on dasd (SMS vs. non-sms
control).

Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified