>BTW: I didn't say "strange debugging option"; what is strange IMO is the=20
>fact
>that COBOL requires the modules in PDSEs not because the language needs=20
>this,
>but only to support some debugging tools, which could IMO store their=20
>information
>at another place. But the COBOL community seems to have accepted this move.

 There are many reasons why new COBOL programs have to be Program Objects and
cannot be Load Modules.  As a result of requiring Program Objects, we were
able to also solve a long-standing problem for customers: Keeping the debugging
data in sync with the executable and making that data available.  With the
NOLOAD class program segmenets in new COBOL the debugging data is always
available, always in sync, and does not negatives impacl load performance.

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<