IMO, the other languages (PL/I, C) also support building program objects and very large programs (> 16 MB), but COBOL with the newest compiler version REQUIRES even small programs to live in PDSEs (as program objects) and does not allow old (classic) load modules.

I'm not sure about this, but IMO in some places in the OS "old" load modules are still required and program objects living in PDSEs cannot be used, maybe because PDSE support requires some help from the OS, and this is not available in the very early stages after IPL.

Maybe, OTOH, nobody wants COBOL programs there ... these modules are probably
PL/X or ASSEMBLER or Metal C ...

I cannot imagine a monolithic program with code size larger than 16 MB, and a program which has static tables bigger than 16 MB is, IMHO, a design failure. But this is maybe an old school point of view ...

Kind regards

Bernd