On Mon, 1 May 2023 23:30:51 +0000, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
>But it doesn't work for a PDS member to following, also surrounded by
>parentheses:
>
>Test2:  PARENS COBOL(TEST(MEMBER))
>Results2:
>COBOL
>TEST(MEMBER
>
>Any simple REXX parse option to handle this, or do I need to resort to more
>complex REXX?  Or do I just add a trailing paren if there is a leading one in
>valueOpt?  Perhaps that's the simples answer.

A tough one.  Can PCRE do this?  Does REXX support PCRE nowadays?  Maybe OoRexx?

In general, this is beyond regular expressions: a grammar allowing an arbitrary
depth
of nested parentheses is not Chomsky Type 3; not recognizable by a finite state
machine.

Finite state machines can't count.

IIRC, SNOBOL4 has a BAL predicate for this.  It can probably handle parentheses
nested to any reasonable depth.

--
gil