A long time ago, when the only computers available were mainframes, IBM and
ISV pricing strategy may have made a lot of sense.
When I first started working on IT, four decades ago, around here there
were a few dozen of places running IBM MVS, VSE and VM.
Today, after bank and insurance consolidation, plus outsourcing, there are
very, very few remaining. And where before you could only rely on big iron
to run your loads, today there are several much cheaper alternatives being
aggressively offered.
It seems to me that IBM is not concerned with the smaller clients. If you
cannot pay the big bucks then, by all means, take your business elsewhere.
Those clients that need multiple LPARs on multiple boxes, probably will
continue with IBM for the foreseeable future. The others will give up due
to the price.
It is a suicidal strategy as those giving up today will pave the way for
the bigger ones to get out in the future.
Regards
Jack