On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:28:20 +0000, Pew, Curtis G wrote:

>I’d say that code pages aren’t particularly relevant to JCL processing. JCL
>uses a set of byte values. Most of those byte values have a common
>interpretation across many if not most of the code pages in the “EBCDIC”
>family. As you noted, all of them have the same interpretation in three
>commonly used code pages.

Tunnel vision.  They "aren’t particularly relevant" except when they are.

<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.2.0?topic=parameters-character-sets>
prudently warns:
    (i) Note: The system recognizes the following hexadecimal representations
of the
    U.S. National characters; @ as X'7C'; $ as X'5B'; and # as X'7B'. In
countries other
    than the U.S., the U.S. National characters represented on terminal
keyboards
    might generate a different hexadecimal representation and cause an error.
For
    example, in some countries the $ character may generate a X'4A'.

"other than" should be clarified.  The most concise way to do that would be
with a
citation of CP037.  It's complicated, but cowardly to ignore the complexity just
because it "commonly" can be expected to work.

Why is there a CP1047?  I've heard it described as a mistake, or "Customer
requirement."  Was it easier for an AE to accommodate an influential customer
than rely on a technical judgment?

--
gil