Speculation on my part but I think CP1047 was created in part to allow for
square brackets given their use in new programming languages at x’AD’ = ‘[‘ and

Those characters were not in 037 that I can find but apparently there are
multiple versions of that 037.

I recall writing in SAS C back in the late 80’s and had to use ‘(|’ for [ and
‘|)’ for ] and it was a PITA the code that way.

Your reference for the hard coded values is fabulous … so much knowledge
scurried away in our memories and long lost documents.

Matt Hogstrom
PGP key 0F143BC1