From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2023 4:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXT] Re: Userid schemes

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:22:12 -0400, Phil Smith III wrote:

>I've seen various schemes used for creating up-to-eight-character userids, all
>truncated as needed, of course. These are IDs I've had, won't tell ya where
>each was (and omitting just firstname, just lastname, or intials):

It was egregious underreaching when IBM increased the permitted length of TSO
IDs from 7 to 8.  They should have gone to something more characteristic of
extant systems, probably several dozen, using USERIDALIASTABLE if needed to
perform the mapping.
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=srsci-if-you-have-problems-names-such-as-uucp-uucpg-tty>

>Anyone got any other variations? This is purely a curiosity item, no agenda.

I once worked for an organization that used last name, first initial, middle
initial.  After searching phone directories, I wondered whether Cheng K. Fu of
San Diego, CA would ever apply for employment there.

(They were inflexible.  A co-worker was required to change her user ID because
of marriage.)

--
gil