From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Jason Cai <ibmm...@foxmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 4:19 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Inquiry about extracting and counting msgid from operlog
using sort program
Dear All,

 I am writing to inquire about how to use the sort program on the mainframe to
extract and count msgid from a day's operlog. I would appreciate your guidance
and advice on this matter.

Msgid is a keyword that identifies system messages. It usually consists of 7
letters and a number, such as IEA001I or CSV003E. However, some msgid may have
up to 10 characters.

I need to extract all msgid from the operlog, and remove any duplicates. Then,
I need to count the number of occurrences of each msgid and generate a report.

I have tried to use the following statement to extract msgid, and it seems to
work well. However, I am not sure if there is anything missing or if it can be
written more simply.

SORT FIELDS=(58,7,CH,A)
     INCLUDE COND=((58,7,SS,NE,C' ',AND,
                   65,1,CH,EQ,C' ',AND,
                   (63,1,SS,EQ,C'0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9'),AND,
                   (64,1,SS,EQ,C'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')),OR,
                   (58,8,SS,NE,C' ',AND,
                   66,1,CH,EQ,C' ',AND,
                   (64,1,SS,EQ,C'0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9'),AND,
                   (65,1,SS,EQ,C'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')),OR,
                   (58,9,SS,NE,C' ',AND,
                    67,1,CH,EQ,C' ',AND,
                   (65,1,SS,EQ,C'0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9'),AND,
                   (66,1,SS,EQ,C'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')),OR,
                   (58,10,SS,NE,C' ',AND,
                    68,1,CH,EQ,C' ',AND,
                   (66,1,SS,EQ,C'0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9'),AND,
                   (67,1,SS,EQ,C'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'))

But I do not know how to count the number of occurrences of each msgid and
eliminate duplicates.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jason Cai