Hi, Jason.  If all you’re looking to do is summarize log data, I can give you
some options, at least.

There was/is a tool that Kevin Kelley, since retired, wrote to help clients do
log analysis that would do exactly what you want, on platform, in batch; I’m
trying to find it again.  It was available on testcase.boulder.ibm.com, and may
well still be there in some subdirectory; I’ll spend a bit of time searching
for it again.  Links to it have apparently been lost.  I believe it was
mentioned in some Redbooks as well.  If I can find it, I’ll put it in the z/OS
github repository.  It was intended to help clients do message suppression and
the like.

I have a python library, zoslogs (https://pypi.org/project/zoslogs/), that I
built to do very basic log parsing.  So if you wanted to, you could use it as a
basis for something like what you’re trying to do; you at least wouldn’t have
to worry about doing the initial parsing yourself.

There are some tools that might give you an easier interface to gather the
syslog data, such as the z Common Data Provider, or the z/OSMF REST API.  I
believe zoau does something similar.

There are also things like IBM Z Operational Log Analytics and IBM Z Anomaly
Analytics with Watson that will do realtime/almost realtime analysis of the
logs for you, and try to warn you about potential issues.

As others said, however, I don’t think using something like DFSORT will meet
your needs, without a lot of work.  At the least I’d suggest using a
pre-processing tool to handle the initial log parsing before you sort/summarize
the data.
--
Kevin McKenzie

External Phone: 845-435-8282, Tie-line: 8-295-8282
z/OS Test Services - Test Architect, Provisioning
z/OS Hardware/Software Interlock