On 7/31/23 6:37 AM, Jay Maynard wrote:
It's not just CPU power or number of cores, but the ability to connect thousands of volumes of data and access them simultaneously, and move that data from point A to point B efficiently.

Please elaborate, are those volumes separate DASD devices or are they possibly some logical component thereon?

I also wonder how common it is to have four digits of volumes (physical or logical) varied on at the same time.

I wonder this about both mainframes and some of the largest Open Systems that I've been exposed to.

Hundreds absolutely happens.  I don't know about a thousand or more.

Also, what constitutes a volume? How different are FCP and FC LUNs? How different are they when the same back end storage system is exporting LUNs to both mainframe and Open Systems, with the primary difference being FCP vs traditional FC?

--
Grant. . . .