In fact I used to do that; I was an employee at a truck manufacturer for 14
year and had those commands, and a few others, in my command table.  But by the
time I started contracting in '96, I'd forgotten exactly where to get at the
command table, and just got used to typing the TSO prefix.  Now I do it without
thinking.  Every so often I think about looking it up and doing it again, but
nah, if I type "tso" without thinking then it'd slow me down to try to remember
~not~ to do it.

...Although occasionally I type too fast and drop a letter.  Maybe I should
think again.

And yes, I learned long ago that personal, idiosyncratic tools are personal and
idiosyncratic.  I would be delighted if everyone tried my tools and thought
they were the best thing since sliced bread, but that happens only rarely.

I did, once years ago, write a tool for a bunch of DYL users at my company.  We
were teaching them how to write their own inquiries using DYL-280II, instead of
interrupting the developers with ad-hoc requests, and it was such a hit that we
set up a special initiator for DYL jobs - two of them, in fact, I think - and
the users sometimes had to wait two to four hours for their job to run, only to
learn when it finally got to the head of the line that they'd forgotten to
declare a variable or something.  So I wrote a REXX, and named it DYLCHK, that
"compiled" their code in the foreground and told them right away whether their
code was syntactically correct.  I left there in '96, and I heard later they're
still using it.  So I feel all validated.

---

/* Obedience is the road to freedom, humility the road to pleasure, unity the
road to personality.  -C S Lewis, "The Weight of Glory" */