At NSF we had panels for the routine stuff and anything else came to me. I was
required to notify my management of what I did and why, but otherwise had a
free hand. We were too small to justify a dedicated security admin.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Wayne Bickerdike <wayn...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2023 11:36 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Separation of Duties RACF Security Admins/Systems Programmers -
Sarbanes-Oxley

At Australian Defence we heavily used GROUP SPECIAL. That relieved sysprogs
from daily BAU tasks such as password resets or resume for IDs where people
were inactive due to vacations or active service.

Other shops I've worked at had a dumbed down RACF administrative function.
That often proved to be a bottleneck for new hires getting the profiles
right for their workload, that's why role based models work well if they
are designed correctly for incumbents.

Wayne V. Bickerdike