On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 07:37:46 AM PDT, Colin Paice
<colinpai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we have to do something before all those with the knowledge and
> experience retire!

This is laughable because for the sysprog, the process can't be simpler. You
were given a set of jobs to run and you changed nothing related to SMP/e. You
entered information specific to your environment requirements (e.g DSN, DSN
prefix, volser/unit and other environment specific information). When each job
completed, you verified the completion code. Name 1 piece of SMP/e knowledge
you as a sysprog used.

Unix install is far worse (e.g. apt install) because it's simple until it's
not. Did you remember to pipe the log to a file in case of error (SMPLOG
equivalent)? Too bad about utilities output not being fully available (SMP job
output files). Did you think I don't need a backup because I'm only affecting 1
app (SMP/e restore). Did you install on a shared readonly disk causing havoc?

Every question you answered in those SMP/e jobs was not about SMP/e. Instead,
they get you to consider all the z/OS what if's and consider your installation
strategy. For instance, you are running in a live sysplex and you don't want to
install against live libraries and cause havoc.

Every reputable company requires important products to be installed using
SMP/e. Unlike Unix, they don't want complete product replacement every time a
critical bug is discovered. It's much safer to install 1 fix specific to the
error they need fixed which can be quickly and easily tested. They want to see
hold data that warns them about potential problems and actions they must take.
Do I need to list more?

The heavy lifting for SMP/e lies with product developers. What are you
proposing be changed?

    On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 07:37:46 AM PDT, Colin Paice