Just to provide some perspective on the value of SMT-2, critical system
functions are SMT-2 -- no choice.  For example SAP runs SMT-2 on z15 (I
haven't checked for earlier models as we have z15).  So SMT-2 is "so bad"
that it is always used for one of the key mainframe differentiators over
other architectures :)
That said, performance is always a balance between throughput, latency and
path length ... SMT-2 can affect all 3 in complex ways.  And measuring it
can be difficult, still a black art.  I'd claim that for the majority of
transactional mainframe workloads using SMT-2 for zIIPs is optimal.