There may have been issues with LCS (Large Core Storage).
Our site had 128K core with 1 Mb LCS.
OS/360 took up almost all the core storage.
Access to LCS was much slower than to core store.
We therefore made local PL/I variables static
(except for arrays, which typically had variable dimensions).

On 2023-09-07 13:32, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
Thinking a little bit more about this:

the insurance company used auto variables heavily, BUT:

until the 2010 time frame, they didn't allow (or: suggested not to use) INTERNAL PL/1 procedures !! Instead they had some home grown macros based on label variables, which worked much the same like procedure calls, but the "program blocks", which were built using these macros - of course - didn't have local variables;
all variables are GLOBAL.

Using this technique, performance issues during procedure startup are no problem, of course.

In 2010, one of my co-workers (and a friend of mine) checked out the performance of these "program blocks" and found out that the heavy use of label variables COMPROMISES the optimizing strategies of the modern compilers, so that now the "program blocks" based on label variables are MUCH SLOWER than original PL/1 procedures.

That's why the company now changed the recommendation and asked all programmers to change the programs from the old "program blocks" to normal procedures (when doing maintenance to the programs). This led to significant better performance in some cases (especially in large Batch programs with many "program blocks").

There are still many programs using the old "program blocks", and we are now thinking about forcing the transformation process in the next months. When compiling a program using the old feature, you get a return code of 8 and a compiler message, but the code is produced, anyway.

Kind regards

Bernd