Michael Stein wrote on 9/6/2023 3:45 PM:
[...] PL/1 F level subroutine calls did a getmain/freemain for each subroutine call. Too much overhead to call even one subroutine for each of 30K records on a 360/91 & MVT.

Well, my recollection is that if you had only Static storage, no Automatic storage, it didn't do a GETMAIN.  Or was that an enhancement in the new PL/I compiler?  Was that PLIX?  Yeah, not using stuff for decades can cause memory fade.

/Leonard