On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:31:32 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>And what if a non-Unix application uses a serrvice that causes dubbing?

I suppose you can call BPXBATCH a shell, but Humpty Dumpty.

Otherwise, you raise several related questions.  I looked at one of my
favorites:
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=functions-bpxwunix>
    env
    An optional argument, env is the name of a compound variable (stem) that
contains environment variables for the command. env.0 must contain the number
of environment variables to be passed to the command. env.1, env.2, ... contain
the variables in the form variable_name=variable_value. If env is not
specified, the current environment is passed to the shell.

I'll submit an RCF asking what "current environment" means in ah undubbed
address space such as IRXJCL.

Perhaps by a user with no OMVS segment; no DEFUSER; etc.