> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Steve Thompson <ste...@wkyr.net>
> Subject: Re: Simple request from chatGPT to write assembler program.
> Date: September 5, 2023 at 2:27:52 PM CDT
> To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
>
> And so we can now understand that when a paralegal or newly minted attorney
> uses it to find case law for points and authorities, it will will make them
> up to match what was being searched for when it prepares a motion it was
> asked for using the results of the search.
>
> And some attorneys got a judge quite angry with them when they didn't tell
> the court this, but the opposing council pointed out they could not find any
> such case listed in the pleadings/motion. Then the judge's people also could
> not find same.... This is the kind of thing that concerns me about AI today.
> Once it has been taught enough to learn on its own....
>
> Steve Thompson

————————————SNIP=========================

Steve,

This is a war story, so ignore it if you want.
I worked at a place in the 1970s and 80's that did a lot of "what if" or other
type of DB2(type) inquiries that came from manufactures or food chains wanted
answers to questions like in (either/or) stores/cities or regions how good a
product was selling (it was essentially) ad-hoc inquiries. These inquiries came
to us via the phone. The person answering the phone would create (on a CRT) the
language that the application used (in this case, it was assembler H macro's).
The phone person would write the inquiry up on the screen) and submit the job.
This would essentially create a semi unexecuteable load module. At the end of
the week/month, A program that ran on MVS would take these non-executable
programs, use them essentially as an inquiry and would, run these inquiries,
and would spit out reports that the client received and would tell the client
how well campaign did for sales of a specific ad champaign.
These clerks were essentially entry level (sub entry?) programmers. In the day,
it was a remarkable system. I am not an expert and only interacted with the
programmers(real). The batch system's multi-tasking was complex, and they kept
the wolves away from the system's people. The entire system was at one time
CICS-based, but due to politics, they went to another CICS type system
(Intercom?). I do remember INTERCOM(?) as the first time they tried the system
up, and it amended on a SOC1and I was presented a dump with the explanation
that it was a system error. I looked at it and told them to look at the manual
as it was a valid OC1 and to talk to the INTERCOM people. The real programmers
left with the dump and spoke to the INTERCOM systems people. They fixed it.
Luckily, they looked at the dumps before they brought them down to us again.
Ed